Stepfamily Issues

Personal stories about stepfamilies, childhood and general family issues.


June 02, 2012

destined to be a nurse

The childhood experience of helplessly watching her mother die from breast cancer was something that Venetia will never forget and indeed it became her destiny to become a nurse and be helpful to others.

"Becoming a nurse was definitely my destiny,” says Venetia. “Helping sick people in a meaningful way - which I was unable to do for my own mother – helps me heal from the trauma I suffered and I really do feel fulfilled doing things for people.”

“I am also gaining strength from being around clever people who are working on the causes of cancer in all of its forms,” says Venetia. “I do a lot of research on the subject in my free time, and there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.”

"I've only been nursing for three months now and it's full-on, very scary at times," sighs Venetia, "but I never expected it to be easy."

"It's far too late for me to help my mother, of course,” says Venetia,” but if I can be instrumental in helping other women avoid this terrible disease (that men get, too, by the way) then my becoming a nurse was truly my destiny."

Read more of Venetia's story:


  • keep an open mind on breast cancer
  • helplessly watching mom die
  • clutching at straws
  • my stepmother is my rock



  • Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Stepfamily Issues